Friday, November 13, 2009

platitudes

Last night I woke up to the smell of rotten eggs pervading the bedroom. I opened the window, but outside the air was only worse. It was still bad at 8:30, but by 9:45 it had cleared up. I'm a little confused about the cause of this incident. My best guess is that it has something to do with ChengDe Road, the arterial on which the apartment is located.

Today it was really raining. And it was a little bit cool out--the thermometer says 62 right now, but there's also wind.





I met Jack in the morning and he invited me to come to the cafe at lunchtime tomorrow; I think he's having some kind of party. He said his friend is bringing baijiu and duck. I told him I don't eat duck, but it sounds like that's OK. After that, I'm meeting Ivy at Taipei Main Station and we're taking the fast train down to Gaoxiong, where her sister lives. I'm not sure what she has planned, but I'm excited to go and see another part of Taiwan.

The other day when I was walking through the night market, I passed a store selling discount t-shirts.





So what are the original things? An eagle, a helm, an anchor, and a crown? Sure, I guess so.






Other than the two I bought, I remember one that said something like "Some nice music will cheer you up," and another that said "Sports Championship."

3 comments:

jenelow said...

"Get back to the original things"! Where can I get that t-shirt?

Haddockdonut said...

You'd best be bringing one of these shirts back for me.

David said...

Isaac,
What a treat to read your posts -- same trail I took in 1982. Great paradox -- big changes geopolitically and economically, but so much sounds the same -- the Chungking Mansion and the advice -- go to China Travel Agency. (In the old days they offered guided tours and said it was the only way into China, there was a back door that you heard about by word of mouth (pre-internet), cost 1/20 as much and let you go solo.
I look forward to future posts. Enjoy the Guanzhou to Chengdu -- should be beautiful and probably will see lots of workers traveling between rural outposts and the factories.
David Mark