Thursday, January 14, 2010

Getting as much ultraviolet light as possible

It is sunny and 21 degrees (69.8 Eastern Orthodox) here in Kowloon Park, multiple birds are making funny sounds with their throats, and leaves are gently waving around in the air.

Yesterday I boated to Lantau Island, and then took an exhilarating bus ride to the giant Buddha statue. The name does not lie; the size of the thing is a little startling. It reminds me of a Harvey Birdman episode (Harvey Birdman is a former superhero who became a lawyer but still retains his super powers [which he only uses occasionally], his costume [which is now worn underneath a business suit], and his big blue wings [which he also usually doesn't use]). The episode starts with Harvey sitting at his desk, writing something or doodling. He sits there for a minute or two, and then he rotates a little bit in his swivel chair, and his wings move out of the way to reveal that his "sidekick", Peanut, is standing right behind him. Harvey jumps out of his chair. Glancing up and seeing this giant Buddha statue sitting above me was kind of like that.

I also visited the Po Lin Monastery, which has a few vegetarian restaurants, a lot of large incense pots, a few temples, and many areas under construction. Around that are the obligatory expensive tourist shops, cafes, and restaurants with "Gourmet Oriental" cuisine. I didn't stay very long.

Last night after dinner I met up with my friend Annie for tea. Afterward on the way home I stopped at the 7-11 near Mirador Mansions to get some water, but to get to the water aisle I first had to get past the huddles of people who were standing around drinking beer and wine out of little paper cups. "7-11 party?" I asked the cashier. She told me it was for their regular customers, but I was welcome to join anyway.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

7-11 parties are all the rage these days! I can't believe you got invited to one!

abby said...

good thing you are keeping track of all these expreiences....too much novelty and your brain could explode

jenelow said...

I can't believe the Buddha jumped out of his chair!

Isaac said...

Is that ambiguous? I was trying to say that I was Harvey, and the Buddha was my sidekick, and *I* was jumping out of my chair (which I always carry with me when I visit giant Buddha statues just in case of such occurrences).

jenelow said...

I was hoping you'd laugh.