Thursday, January 12, 2017

Catching up

It's been more than nine (9!) months since my last post. Before you condemn me for slacking, dear reader, consider that I have been writing on another platform and another subject, but still writing nonetheless. The site is humbly called Start a New Language, and I'm writing about starting to learn new languages and what I'm learning about learning languages from the process.

What else? After surviving the grilled cheese cafe, some catering and chef's table events (overlooking that I'm neither a chef nor do I currently own a table), and a water kefir company that ended before it began, I moved back to Taiwan in August. I moved into a new apartment with a new, multitalented roommate, and aside from languages, have been practicing yoga and learning how to make vegan hum-bow.

In December I went back to Seattle for a month. I got ordained and married my friends in San Francisco, finally visited my idol's fermentation deli in LA, and rang in the new year with a snowball fight at a Honcho Poncho show. The rest of the time I was immobile inside my revitalization chamber.

I got back to Taipei last night at midnight, after a 22-hour itinerary around the arctic circle where it was constantly between 2 and 4pm, with a stop in Tokyo for a bowl of soba. This morning I woke up at dawn. It's cool and rainy, but not nearly as cold as Seattle. I got dressed and went down the little street where all the shops are. Most stores in Taipei are still closed at 7:30, even coffee shops. The exception are breakfast places, which often open as early as 4:30 to accommodate commuters on rough schedules. I went to the noodle thread place for a steaming bowl of rice noodle thread soup topped with garlic, chili, cilantro, and a big ladleful of oysters. Grösartig!

Oyster farming is supposed to be one of the most sustainable forms of protein production, just saying. 

I'd given up on writing here all this time since a) I told myself I was too busy, and b) it was starting to become more of a way to avoid deciding what I really should be doing than something I actually felt like doing. I think I've made progress on the latter reason, and the former might be solved if I can take less time writing each post, namely by obsessing less but also by making them shorter. On that note


No comments: